Monday, March 30, 2015

The Power of Networking in Small Business

I started my business 13 yeas ago and I will say, one of the biggest contributors to my success was getting involved in the local networking groups.  It was a way for me to meet people, share what I love, and overcome my fear of public speaking (although this was a bonus, I would have never did it if someone time I'd have to speak in public, lol). Well, I've been mentoring some friends who are involved in the same direct sales businesses as me, and I thought I'd share our business topic of the month.

Here are my tips for successful networking -

Choosing a Network Group
  • Research and make a list of all of the network groups in your area, or in the area you want to be.
  • Attend each of the groups at least once to see if it is a good fit for you.  Some you may have to attend 2-3 times. The key to successful network groups, is that you attend every meeting and event.  You must be involved as these people will become your friends and your advertisers.  When they see you often, you will be top of mind and they will refer to you.  Must combine attendance consistency with group content.
  • At first, I would narrow that down to 1-3 groups so you can stay focused, not get too overwhelmed and participate.  Then if you find that the “social” aspect is equivalent to being in your office, and business is growing, you may want to be involved with several groups.  For me, it started with 1 leads/network group. Then went to 2, then 3 then 6.  I found that the socializing part took the pressure off, allowed people to ask me questions when they were ready (in a non-sales, non-threatening way) and I was always available.  And it was more fun that being stuck in an office. This helped me build a rapport, trust, credibility and confidence over time that people began to seek me out more often.

Network Group Content
  • You first need to understand the structure of the meeting.  In one of my groups, we went around the room and did our “1 minute commercial”.  For me at the time, I was promoting aromatherapy, so I would feature a different product or essential oil (just 1) every week. I found that 1 powerful opening sentence that describes who you are and what you do, then 1-2 sentences of content about the product you want to spotlight (not sell), then closing statement that drives action (like, “My name is...you can contact me via email or phone, and I look forward to helping people...”)
  • Make a list of group content topics so you are prepared each meeting to share in a confident, powerful, friendly and fun way.  You want to choose products or services that are combinations, unique, serve a specific purpose, that you can’t really get anywhere else. If I was to share information about the good mineral make-up I found, I use and now distribute, I'd say something like...
    “Hi, my name is Jennifer. How many people have or know someone who has a serious health concern? [I'd raise my hand] And if you or they could minimize their toxic exposure that feeds that health concern, would you do it?  [I raise my hand].  Well, did you know that studies show that in the morning women apply over 126 chemicals (in 12 different products) before they leave the house (also known as topical ingestion)? And that during their lifetime, women will ingest approximately 126 pounds of lipstick?  That could be your wife, mom, sister or friend.  Isn’t that crazy?  That was me until my friend and I found a solution that decreases the amount of "toxic topical ingestion", simply but switching what I was already buying, to a healthier source.  My name is Jennifer. If you’d like help switching what you use to something healthier, you can call or email me anytime.”

Getting the most of out network groups
  • Know what to say when people ask you, “what do you do?”.  “I am.... and I help people...”. You want something that states what you do, who you are and what type of referral you would like, all in one, non-sales-like sentence. remember, it's about building relationships, not just selling a product.
  • After you have become a group member, ask how you can be a featured guest speaker at one of their meetings.  Some groups allow 1-2 members to do a 15 minute presentation.
  • Ask to be a vendor at networking events, volunteer to work the “group booth” as this will bring you notoriety, and help people become familiar with you.  The more they see your face, and in a capacity of helping, the more they will feel comfortable with you.
  • Partner with other members for events, home party opportunities, speaking opportunities, referral network.
One of my passions is helping other health-prenuers realize their dreams. If you are looking to start and build a successful part r full-time home business, let me know.  We can chat about your goals and opportunities to make that happen. 

Have a super healthy and happy day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment